If you’ve lost a child or given birth, then you know that families love to bring you chicken and broccoli casseroles. Trust me, they’re appreciated. But when I’m grieving or learning a new “normal,” I want comfort food. I created this casserole with a Pioneer Woman pasta sauce that I was gifted in return for a review. All opinions are completely my own and 100% honest.
Comfort Pasta Casserole
- 24 oz Jar of Pioneer Woman Rustic Bolognese Pasta Sauce This is my preferred sauce (because you don't need to add any meat) but any jar of sauce will work too.
- 1 box Banza Pasta – Rotini or Penne Noodles This pasta is full of protein and fiber, just what a new or grieving mother needs. Any box of pasta will work, however.
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place a large pot of salted water on the stove, to boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, in a large pan, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add diced onion and cook until translucent. Or caramelize the onions for extra flavor!
- Add in the garlic and stir constantly until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the entire jar of Pioneer Woman Rustic Bolognese Pasta Sauce to the pan.
- Stir it all together and season the pasta sauce to taste. Turn heat to low and allow sauce to simmer.
- Add the cream cheese to the pasta sauce and stir until combined thoroughly.
- Once your pot of water is boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Place your pasta in a 9×13 pan (a disposable foil pan is a lifesaver here).
- If you're taking this meal to someone, stop here and deliver the meal with the following instructions. If you're cooking it for yourself or to have someone over, place the dish in the oven, covered with foil, and bake for 25 minutes, or until it's heated through entirely. 5 minutes before remiving it from the oven, remove the foil and top the pasta with cheese. Allow cheese to get bubbly on top.
- Serve alongside garlic bread and salad and enjoy!