Looking for a DIY gumball machine maternity costume? When you’re pregnant, you just have to go “all-out” on a few things. And one of those things is your Halloween costume. How can you not play up that bump?! Last year, my husband and I fully intended to be celebrating our last Halloween without a kid. That was definitely not God’s plan though. And so here we are, getting ready to spend another Halloween, kid-free. I won’t complain though because we plan to do it right with some fun Halloween parties. And re-wearing last year’s Halloween costume is definitely part of it!
This simple DIY gumball machine costume is one of my favorites. It’s inexpensive, easy, and fun! I’m a sucker for any costume where you can wear a large bow. If you want to make your own, check out the super simple instructions below! (Just note that you’ll need at least 24 hours notice to allow the glue to dry completely for this costume!)
Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning I receive a percentage of any purchase you make. This helps keep the blog up and running and doesn’t charge you any extra or change your purchase experience 🙂 These are the EXACT products I used to make this costume!
What you need:
- A Blank Shirt
- Bright + Colorful PomPoms
- A Red Apron
- Gray + Black Felt
- A Large Bow
- Felt Glue
- A Sharpie
- Black Leggings or Pants
- A Small Piece of Cardboard (to slide inside your shirt while gluing)
How to make your DIY gumball machine maternity costume:
THE GUMBALL SHIRT
- Try-on your shirt and draw a circle around your bump with the sharpie!
- Using the felt glue, glue your pompoms along the sharpie line on your shirt, covering up the sharpie marks.
- Put a piece of cardboard inside your shirt to protect it from getting glue inside.
- Then fill in the circle with SUPER close together pompoms. Glue the pom-poms in random order. Use any colors that you want! You don’t have to use all of them. You should have more than enough to complete your shirt.
- As you go, make sure the glue isn’t leaking inside your shirt and sticking it to the back of your shirt!
- Once you have filled in the circle with pompoms, allow the glue to dry for 24 hours. Try the shirt on and notice where there are gaps. Go back and fill those spaces in with more pompoms.
THE APRON + COIN SLOT
- Take a piece of gray felt and glue the top of it along the center of the apron. The rest of the gray felt can just flap open so it doesn’t look wrinkly and weird attached to your apron.
- Take a piece of black felt and free cut a circle, bow shape, and “coin slot”.
- Using the felt glue, glue these pieces onto your grey felt.
- Glue some of your remaining pompoms onto the front of your bow. Don’t worry about the back of the bow or the part of the bow hanging down.
- Put your hair up or wear it down and add your bow!
Allow the felt glue at least 24 hours to fully dry before putting anything on. Once it’s all dry, make sure you’re happy with the placement of everything and make any necessary adjustments!
If a Gumball Machine isn’t your thing, be sure to check out my Pinterest Board for all sorts of fun costumes you can create or purchase! Really – the world is your oyster. If you make a costume, I would LOVE to see it! Please be sure to tag me on Instagram with @appleslices.llc and have an awesome Halloween!