Do you get a special gift box sometime during December? Growing up we always got a Christmas gift box on Christmas Eve. I loved receiving a new pair of pajamas and a small gift from my parents and definitely wanted to do something similar with my family! As we near the holiday season and begin to create traditions of our own, I took my family’s idea but brought it earlier in the season: December 1st – mostly because I just love celebrating as soon as possible! With our holiday advent calendar book countdown in place, I wanted to kick everything off with a bang, so I’m excited to share with you our December 1st holiday box, an alternative to the Christmas Eve box. (This post contains affiliate links. These links help pay for my blog and do not affect you, or your prices, at all!)— Jump to Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe —
This post was also inspired by Haley Wynn from Haley Wynn Designs! She does the sweetest Christmas Eve holiday boxes (such a FUN tradition with her hubby, Brett!) and I am always so excited to hear about her amazing ideas for the holidays!
So What Four Items are in Our December 1st Box This Year?
- Our Elf on the Shelf (also Day 1 of our book countdown). I’ve owned this sweet elf since my days in the classroom and love having him grace our fireplace every year. I don’t know if I’ll get hardcore into moving him every night as Lachlan gets older, but he’ll definitely make a presence around our home every year in December.
- New Christmas jammies! I snagged a set of the Dear Deer jammies from Hanna Andersson for everyone in our family during the 40% off sale back in October. Use my link and receive 20% off your own order!
- 3. Holly Jolly 2019 Oil Blend. I heard about a mom that creates a new diffuser blend for each family vacation they take. I love this idea and decided to create one for the holiday season. Every time we use it in the future, it will take us back to this season of life. Which is a pretty stinking good season, if you ask me.
- Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix. This recipe is a family favorite. My mom has been making it as far back as I can remember; It’s graced every Christmas morning and frigid snow day. It’s so easy and makes a TON. I would love to try out a dairy-free alternative, however, so if you know of one, please let me know!
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 15 oz powdered coffee creamer
- 9 oz instant dry milk
- 8 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix everything thoroughly in a large bowl and store in a Tupperware container.
- Fill a mug with half hot chocolate mix and half hot water – or milk!
- Stir until blended and enjoy!
What Will We Do Next Year?
Honestly, next year will depend largely on what our family looks like! Will we be expecting another baby? Will life look similar to what it does now? Will everything be completely different? I have no idea. But I pray that we are fortunate enough to continue this tradition of pajamas, new essential oil blends, hot cocoa, and ALL the holiday books (yay books!) year after year. What would you add or change in your December 1st Holiday Box?